Fabled Gables: 1416 Castillo Street

Probable original owner and architectural designer: Arthur B. Caldwell


Approximate year built:
1890

This simplified late-Gothic-revival-style residence was constructed about 1890, probably by A.B. Caldwell, a carpenter/builder. He is listed as residing here in the 1895 city directory but only for a short period of time. By 1905, lithographer Emile Charles and his wife resided there for the next two-plus decades. In 1943, Charles Ingram, the owner of an auto-repair shop, lived here until 1974.

Over the years, the property has undergone a few alterations, which include enclosing one side of the front porch and dividing the property into two apartments.

Distinguishing architectural hallmarks include the following:

  • T-shaped configuration
  • One-and-a-half stories
  • Decorative scrollwork in brackets along front porch
  • Steeply pitched roof with symmetrical design
  • Three gables: two on each side and one over the entrance
  • Double-hung windows
  • Three octagonal bay windows: one upstairs and two downstairs
  • 98 percent shiplap siding (originally 100 percent) and 2 percent fish-scale siding, placed on the upstairs window facing Castillo Street

Login

Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.