Surf Beach – the site of last week’s fatal shark attack that claimed the life of 19-year-old UCSB student Lucas Ransom – reopened at 8 a.m. this morning, said a spokesperson for Vandenberg Air Force Base.
Base officials closed Surf, Wall, and Minuteman beaches in the wake of Friday’s attack, and during the three-day period base conservation law enforcement officers increased patrols but reportedly didn’t spot any sharks.
Officials, said the spokesperson, will post signs at the beaches – which already have signs indicating there’s no lifeguards on duty in the area – that read: “Warning: recent shark attack – swim, surf at your own risk.”
Vandenberg’s Minuteman and Wall beaches, only accessible to base personnel, will remain closed as part of the base’s efforts to gear up for its two-week operational readiness and unit compliance inspections, which begin October 24.
Tips for reducing the risk of shark attack can be found on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Web site.