Credit Due

Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Comments

If you visited Alameda Park this weekend, you saw for yourselves what a great job the Community Environmental Council (CEC) did with this year’s Earth Day celebration.  From vendors providing information about green driving and locavore food production, to a public square filled with organizations encouraging activism, to entertainment that made it all go down easy, Earth Day 2013 was a huge success.  CEC staff should be proud of their achievement.

Likewise, Santa Barbara residents should be proud to be not just the birthplace of the environmental movement, but the home of an impassioned community of people working to make our community greener and cleaner.  CEC is at the forefront on sustainability, and leads us all.  Other, smaller organizations – Get Oil Out!, Heal the Ocean, the Los Padres Sierra Club, Save Naples, SB CAN,  and Surfrider, to name just a few – bring grassroots energy to local policymaking, keeping our elected officials moving in the right direction on policymaking. The Environmental Defense Center (EDC), on whose Board of Directors I am privileged to sit, depends on these and other nonprofits to help us do the legal legwork necessary to advocate for and protect the central coast from the environmental violence that is destroying so much of our planet.

Santa Barbara is an amazingly beautiful place to live. We owe thanks to all of these organizations and their supporters keeping it so.

Comments

"environmental violence"? Wow, I guess if there is anything in your agenda that I disagree with I must be a really bad person.
This year's get together seemed rather poorly attended and had a tone of WAY overpriced food. We left and went to the 231 year anniversary of El Presidio and had an awesome time with a great, home made plate of taco's for $6.

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
April 23, 2013 at 6:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Cheap an easy, that's why we love our wal marts and costcos with products such as chicken and toilet paper made by the same companies eh surg? Companies been raping mother earth for a century now, glad someone calling it for what it is. The pantry is big enough for everyone, gotta take some, leave some. Hey, listen to the man, rap godfather, James Brown.

spacey (anonymous profile)
April 23, 2013 at 2:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

yes, Heller's right, it IS "environmental violence" and as always, urg, you like to make fun of this stuff...few care whether you disagree with it or not, & hope you enjoyed the El Presidio $6 tacos; with you it's always about the money (recalling your fervent opposition to Prop 30).

April 23, 2013 at 2:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

As we circled Alameda Park emitting exhaust in the atmosphere along with many others who were looking for parking I had an idea. Why not off a shuttle service with various embark/depart points? I realize that's typically called a bus but event shuttles could be something else. Even DisneyLand shuttles it's visitors point to point, they don't use the Anaheim bus system.

April 23, 2013 at 3:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's not like I bought my hand made tortillas with beef at Walmart for gawdsakes, I bought them from a genuine community event at a fair price.
Yea I know DD, you love paying $8.50 for a grill cheese sandwich(true price) while lauding the attributes of taking money from the rest of us. And I bet I pay a ton more tax than you do so not dropping comical amounts on food that is overpriced in order to save the earth seems pretty reasonable to most folks.
Hey KV, I did my part and we rode our bikes to both events. Too bad more people did not show up at the Presidio, although the turnout was OK...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
April 23, 2013 at 4:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's nice that there was an alternative, as fun and informative as the Earth Day event was (tho food prices were thru the roof and I'm surprised funnel cake is considered a health food.)

April 23, 2013 at 5:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Free candy from Noozehawk, if your blood sugar started plummeting too much.

April 23, 2013 at 5:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I sure as heck hope you pay LOTS more than I do in our PROGRESSIVE INCOME TAX system! Isn't it great?! And I trust you haven't hidden lots of your hard-earned lucre in those British Virgin Islands illegal tax shelters.

April 23, 2013 at 8:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

They say he speaks 12 languages, and has a residential submarine docked underneath the harbor.

April 23, 2013 at 9:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The Dos Equis guy lives in town?!

He'd probably say, "I usually don't recycle, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis bottles. Stay thirsty my friends."

April 23, 2013 at 11:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes, Santa Barbara is beautiful, but the views of the ocean and mountains make it so sprinkled with arguably the best climate in the U.S.

April 24, 2013 at 2:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

KV is no longer allowed in my submarine. Period and end of story.
Well, there goes my last friend, except J_A who wants to hike to Colorado with me and potentially DD who will be friends with me if I buy him off by giving away the farm for bottomless social programs...maybe I'll pick up a friend in one of those cute little rescue pit bulls with the jaw strength of a hyena...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
April 24, 2013 at 6:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)