Chick-fil-A Drive-Through Posing Problems

Cars Backing Up Along State Street; City Hall to Post Signs

Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Comments

Two weeks after its grand opening on outer State Street, Chick-fil-A is still experiencing such intense interest that it’s causing drive-through customers to back up on State Street and trigger complaints from neighborhood residents. Santa Barbara police were initially wary that such concerns might be politically motivated — Chick-fil-A’s anti-gay corporate philanthropy generated considerable media attention and political opposition — but upon investigation concluded the problems were real. As a result, City Hall will be posting three new signs along State Street warning motorized customers not to block the right-hand lane. Drive-ins are against city ordinance and can no longer be approved, but Chik-fil-A took over one of the last approved drive-ins in the city from the now-defunct Burger King.

Comments

No waiting time at Santa Barbara Chicken Ranch.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 12:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's hilarious yet sick. Bet I could make a bundle selling deepfried butter to the waiting throng. I'm surprised activists haven't taken the opportunity to entertain guests while they wait.

February 19, 2013 at 12:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I had to eat at a Chick-fil-A in an airport a few years ago and I'd be one to get in a line NOT to ever have to eat there again.
Politics aside, it was awful and damn near inedible, but then again maybe it was just a factor of being airport food.

I won't eat there for two reasons- the meal I tried to eat once before as described above and their hateful personal politics.

I drove by the line of cars outside their restaurant onto State Street last night. it was a huge traffic hazard.

wallymoon (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 1:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

a chicken delux with no tomato, and add some signature chik filet sauce and a few drops of hot/buffalo sauce. bonapetite ! sh its good!

tonka (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 1:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Just mix Honey Mustard and BBQ and you have "chik filet sauce"...

February 19, 2013 at 1:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Chick-fil-A’s anti-gay corporate philanthropy generated considerable media attention and political opposition"
Hmmm, I thought the owner just voiced his own personal opinion and the gay community/press ran with it. Sounds a bit over blown to me when supposedly in this country everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they own a business and it is contrary to yours. Seems all the over the top press to get after this owners supposed wrong doing (having an opinion) backfired. So if someone gay wants a lot of success opening a restaurant in Texas, I suggest they call the owner of Chick Fil A a redneck in an interview with the press.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 4:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

February 19, 2013 at 4:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Now CFA was knowingly donating to gay genocide in Africa? Wow.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 4:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Happy to have them here, love the real chicken. Sick of people that have nothing in their lives and are always out in the public complaining about something. They are probably the ones on the public welfare because they don't want to earn their way in this world only want to hurt others.
Good Luck Chick-fil-A.......the truth is in the product and the people are lining up to eat at your restaurant!!!!

This is the USA and we are free to think anyway we want too
Good Luck to you losers that are always complalining about someone or something......Get a job!!! Oh, your the ones that voted Obama and he's killing jobs.....Sorry!

TK (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 5:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Let's all have a chicken sandwich there!

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 6:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

How can you comment without knowing that basic fact about Uganda..?
Eat it all you want, let it be on your conscience not mine.
And TK, I will look forward to your support of First Amendment Freedom of speech for Kathryn Bigelow and the ABR Board members as well otherwise you're a big phony.

But I think this says it all:

User profile: TK

Joined: Feb. 19, 2013

Comments posted: 1 (view all)

February 19, 2013 at 7:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"They donated money to a foundation in Uganda that promotes the death penalty for gay people. It's a bit more than an opinion. Mel Gibson is an opinion, CFA was action."

Source? Are you referring to the Family Research Council, which (a) is NOT a foundation in Uganda and (b) does not promote the death penalty for gay people (their lobbying related to H.R. 1064 was not out of support for the death penalty)? If you're not referring to the FRC, I would truly be interested in learning more.

Now, to be clear, I am not sympathetic with the FRC's views and would never consider donating to such an organization, but donating to the FRC is not tantamount to supporting the death penalty for gays.

RonPowers (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 8:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The issue here is the traffic congestion, which I have experienced and isn't pleasant, hopefully in time the newnesss will pass and everything will return to normal.

@ TK: I take offense to your comment and really, you're a boob! If you're going to comment, which you're entitled to, I would just ask that you don't generalize and say "They are probably the ones on the public welfare because they don't want to earn their way in this world only want to hurt others."
First off you nitwit, why the assumption that people opposing Chik-Fil-A are on public welfare? Secondly, what are you talking about, "not wanting to earn their way and wanting to hurt others?" Your reasoning or lack of makes little to NO sense. Are you saying that those of of who disagree with the owners of Chick-Fil-A are on welfare and don't want to earn our way and want to hurt others or are you saying that you don't know what you're saying? I, personally, do not agree with them therefore, I choose not to purchase a product from them and that is simply my belief.
I am NOT on welfare, I have a job and I definitely earn my keep and next time you're looking for a job and I review your resume; I'll make sure I pass on it.
Also, get your - "you're, yours and your" correct, maybe check into the "to and too" while you're at it.. and stop making assumptions.

hrmom (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 10:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

This restaurant has provided a lot of new jobs and sales tax revenue for our community. Everyone needs to do their part in support of that by being extra careful when driving by. As for all the hate coming from the LGBT crowd...stuff it. No one likes a wanker.

SBLifer (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 10:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I have a very hard time believing the owner knowingly donated money to a cause that would kill gays in Africa. Ridiculous. Besides, when you give money to an overseas cause, by the time a fraction of it filters down to the local level, who knows what happens with it when it gets there, and the person who donates certainly has zero control over that. Corruption is rampant. That being said, I have seen a lot of hate from the LGBT crowd regarding someone having an opinion contrary to their own. There is some irony in this group not having TOLERANCE for someone who is voicing their opinion and making donations legally to a group of their CHOICE. If you don't like it, don't go there. Maybe it will reduce the traffic congestion. Wait, did SBLifer really tell them to stuff it? hahahah..awesome.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
February 19, 2013 at 11:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So you're all for city taxpayer subsidies for this franchise but people can't voice any kind of opposition to the negative impact Chick Fill-A has on the moral fiber of the community?

February 20, 2013 at 12:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Moral fiber of what? haha you said fiber after he said stuff it. Once again ridiculous. I have friends in the LGBT community that would say whatever. I have my opinion, he has his, you have yours and the LGBT has theirs. . CFA serves chicken sammies. So what? Their owner has an opinion. Where is the connection to any ones moral fiber intake? I have to watch GMA every morning! Worse than ridiculous. LAME.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 1:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

right on, hrmom, I'm a worker and I simply won't spend my $ at the place, easy to vote with the feet.
and I prefer filet of sole, anyway.

February 20, 2013 at 4:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The issue I have with this is the "drive-through America" problem. It's disgusting, especially on a warm summer day, to see long lines of cars waiting to order and pickup food or visit the bank...all with engines running, gas a-guzzling, fumes belching and why? To order "fast" food (which ain't so fast if you have to wait in long lines for it) from the car 'cause the driver and/or passengers are too lazy to park and walk inside. Apart from folks with disabilities, I see no reason for any enlightened community to tolerate drive-through anything any longer. And frankly, many of those waiting in line to eat crappy fast food could do well with the exercise of getting out of the car and walking in now and then.

jeffchemnick (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 6:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

That's right Jeff. You tell 'em that you know how people should live their lives better than they do.

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 7:18 a.m. (Suggest removal)

That's right. We all know what Jeff and Chik-Fil-A's founders should think and believe. Why, everyone should believe the way we do...shouldn't they?

ChasLBerg (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 7:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Well I guess we better get rid of In n Out too, cause they have really long lines in their drive thru, even though they serve 'fresh', local 'fast food'.

The thing is, if In n Out closed their drive thru then everybody would have to park, and there aren't engough parking spaces. The line inside the store is usually to the door, so it would then go out the door. Less people would go there, so they would likely have to drive further to their next best option, using even more gas. It takes a bit of gas to start up your car, so it's actually better to let it sit idle for some time (not sure how long, probably depends on the car) then to turn it off/start it up. Drive Thrus allow more people to utilize, what is in Santa Barbara a very expensive kitchen space. Banning drive-thrus doesn't make any sense. I guess you guys won't ever get a Zizzo's Drive Thru Coffee in Santa Barbara (there's one in Goleta). You'll have to continue going to other coffee shops and struggle to find parking.

When I went to CFA not only was the drive-thru line out into the street AND all of the parking spots were taken AND the restaurant was completely full inside. I don't see anything wrong with letting the line back-up into the street, it's certainly not illegal, just a bit of a nuisance for the time being. If they are generating that much business then they are paying a lot of taxes so they are entitled to attention from the city. What are you guys going to do for them so they can continue generating revenue stream from you?

All this issue does for me is reinforce how horribly our political system has been setup. Anybody who believes in economic AND personal freedom is constantly under attack. The left appeases special interest groups like LGBT and minorities by paying them lip service while increasing poverty, destroying the economy and forcing more people to become dependent while continuing the war on (some) drugs which has placed our country in the #1 spot for incarceration in the entire world. The right appeases those who believe in economic freedom, again with mere lip service, while dismantling the Constitution and spending our money on a wasteful, violent and immoral foreign policy (which the left is really just as responsible for). What a joke.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 7:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I had never been to Chick fil A but I tried the spicy chicken sandwich and it was good. Every time I pass this spot it is packed with customers. I'm glad there is a successful business in the neighborhood. The drive through is a bonus.

bobfromla (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 8:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

only in santa barbara could a column about a new fast food joint bring in comments about uganda and killing of gays.

frigging outstanding..... mate, its a chicken sammie. eat it or don't eat it.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 8:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

As much as people would like to make the case that liberals are trying to tell people how to think and feel, that is not the case at all. The charitable giving wing of Chick-fil-a gives money to anti-gay hate groups, many of these groups spread lies and try to "cure" gay people with prayer. The boycott was about pointing that out and saying, "I don't want to spend my money at an establishment that has given millions to hate groups." It has nothing to do with curtailing free speech, the owner is free to spit out all the hate speech he wants, it was the hope of the boycotters that once people knew about the practices of the Chick-Fil-A "charitable" wing, the would choose to no longer eat there as a way of getting the company to stop giving money to hate groups.

Documentation here -

michaelbernard (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 9:40 a.m. (Suggest removal)

White Trash Fest-A

February 20, 2013 at 10:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I am going there for lunch today. By the way, GMA stands for Gay Morning America.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 10:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

MDC. Many dumb clucks. Be careful nobody tries to pop you into the fryer on your visit there Bimbo.

February 20, 2013 at 10:44 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Hey you Taliban supporters, did you know:
"Chick-fil-A’s corporate policy requiring all employees to adhere to the strict moral codes laid out (according to the company’s owner) in the Bible, or face termination, was eye-opening."
- Cat Neushel

Maybe someone can publish the details for the Vichyites here.

February 20, 2013 at 10:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Bimboteskie - You do realize the irony of critcizing people for expressing their opinion about someone or something by saying "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" right?

Num1UofAn (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 10:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

BBQd Bimbo.. hmmm. Interesting. I support tolerance, just don't want things rammed down my throat so to speak. Hopefully the newness wears off as mentioned above and the traffic gets better. Truthfully, I miss Burgerking a little bit. Well except for the horse meat burgers.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 10:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

So should the City (taxpayers) pay for the signs or Carol Ruiz? Nobody has answered that question.

We ALL keep referring to CF-A but it is actually Carol Ruiz who's brought it into the community. Enough of this bogus, faceless corporate bs that wants to have the privileges of personhood without being one.

Carol Ruiz is the person who owns that restaurant and thus is the accountable person. There is no person called Chick Fill-A. Enough hiding behind mascots.

February 20, 2013 at 11:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

If Chik-Fil-A pays for the signs, they should get the money for any tickets issued, don't you think?

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 11:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Not at all. You can't create a problem then expect to profit from it, ethically anyway but ethics apparently isn't in Carol Ruiz's rule book.

February 20, 2013 at 11:23 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I became more curious about CFA's employee handbook, came across this quoye in FORBES:

"We tell applicants, 'If you don't intend to be here for life, you needn't apply,'" says Cathy"

Really? is that telling in itself? But take a look at the Forbes article- you know that bastion of godless Marxist thinking- seems to think CFA is a CULT....

CFA encourages franchisees or operators as he calls them to use their churches to market the restaurant.

More nuggets from the article:

Family members of prospective operators--children, even--are frequently interviewed so Cathy and his family can learn more about job candidates and their relationships at home. "If a man can't manage his own life, he can't manage a business," says Cathy, who says he would probably fire an employee or terminate an operator who "has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members."

The parent company asks people who apply for an operator license to disclose marital status, number of dependents and involvement in "community, civic, social, church and/or professional organizations."

But Danielle Alderson, 30, a Baltimore operator, says some fellow franchisees find that Chick-fil-A butts into its workers' personal lives a bit much. She says she can't hire a good manager who, say, moonlights at a strip club because it would irk the company. "We are watched very closely by Chick-fil-A," she says. "It's very weird."

February 20, 2013 at 12:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's such a farce to see you disparage someone you know absolutely nothing about.

She's guilty because of the personal views of someone she does business with.

Do you approve of the personal views of people before you agree to do business with them?

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 1:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You are completely missing the point Botany, it's not about approving opinions- it is about condoning actions. And what are her views? I can't criticize them anymore you can defend them because : (A) she has none (lukewarm?) or they are so reprehensible that she darenot share them publicly. That's the only conclusion I can come up with given her silence, not much of a brand manager if you ask me.
And to fully answer your question, YES- I have, do and will continue to "do business" with people who may have different opinions than mine, lifestyles, activities I may not think are healthy ect unless those opinions and activities include advocating genocide and oppression of women.
I work with many people who probably wish I would just shut up and focus on work; and those are the ones who agree with me. And here's a secret, I actually often enjoy discoursing with people I disagree with (CIVILLY) than ones I agree with. It's just boring if everyone thinks the same, but I draw the line at bigotry.

February 20, 2013 at 1:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

KV - "And what are her views? I can't criticize them anymore you can defend them"

KV - "but ethics apparently isn't in Carol Ruiz's rule book."

Need I say more.

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 2:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You said it perfectly, feel free to quote me on that far and wide: "Carol Ruiz is ethically suspect."

February 20, 2013 at 2:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

4-5 articles in the Indy alone and free signs from the city and she still doesn't have the decency to address the issues?

February 20, 2013 at 2:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Love this town and it's 'right to be wrong' attitude, freedom! and ignorance.... Some would patronize a business that pollutes the air we breath and the water we drink.... hmmmm.

spacey (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 2:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Are there hormones in the chicken?

February 20, 2013 at 2:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ken-Heck no, these are 100% heterosexual chickens.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 3:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

@TK, if you think that people who have issues with hateful policy and beliefs don't have jobs....welllll, let's just say you're more than delusional.

A few people here have schooled you already, but honestly, if you choose to decide in your head that anyone who doesn't think or vote is jobless and somehow irresponsible, you've proven yourself more than a little out of touch.

Native1 (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 3:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I won't be going there because I disagree with the owners stance on some social issues however if someone else chooses to wont be calling them "white trash". Seriously Ken you sound as extreme as TK in your comments, when you mention the Taliban in jest for those who accost others who don't fit their narrow worldview be careful not to look in the mirror you might see Mullah Omar looking back.

pointssouth (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 4:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't mention the Taliban in jest pointssouth, I mention it as comparison.
Sorry I'm no better at being touchy feely than I am at being a bigot, but thanks for illustrating why both the Left and the Right despise me.

February 20, 2013 at 4:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Be sure to LAY ON THE HORN every time you pass this purveyor and supporter of detestable indigestible intolerance.

HONK AGAINST HATE!!!

Draxor (anonymous profile)
February 20, 2013 at 8:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Those who like MSG are in for a treat:

Same goes for dimethylpolysiloxane although you can get that at other places too (e.g. McD's McNuggets):

February 20, 2013 at 9:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Interesting EB, they actually list MSG twice- once in meat and another helping in the bun.

Dimethylpolysiloxane is silicone, used in caulks and sealants, breast implantsSilly Putty.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036653_Chi...
You inspired me to look a little deeper and here's some nuggets I found from the Food Babe:

List of ingredients:
• monosodium glutamate (twice!)
• soybean oil
• sodium aluminum phosphate
• dimethylpolysiloxane (an anti-foaming chemical)
• high fructose corn syrup
• ammonium sulfate
• soy lecithin
• sodium benzoate
• polysorbate 80
• yellow 5
• blue 1
• potassium sorbate
• TBHQ

For example, let’s take TBHQ which stands for “Tertiary Butylhydroquinone.” TBHQ is a chemical made from butane and can only be used at a rate of 0.02 percent of the total oil in a product. This ingredient is listed twice, once in the chicken and once in the bun.. "

"The FDA allows food companies to add these preservatives in limited quantities. However, they do not prohibit combining different food items together. "

February 20, 2013 at 11:50 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Here ya go folks, you can have your Chick Fill-A without the carcinogenic chemicals and bad karma. You can of course adjust to your skill level and resources plus have leftovers without having to wait.

Food Babe’s Open on Sunday Sandwich

1 cup flour of your choice
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 sprouted whole wheat hamburger buns or buns of your choice
1 tbsp butter

***All ingredients organic, except breadsmith buns shown below***
Directions
Marinating:

About 4 hours before or the day before – Cut chicken breasts in half making 4 similar size pieces
With a meat tenderizer or small hammer pound the chicken to ½ inch thick
Sprinkle salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp paprika to both sides of chicken
Place chicken in 1 cup pickle juice and let marinate for at least 4 hours to one day prior to baking

Baking:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Place pickle slices in vinegar and let marinate while you prep the chicken
In a bowl, combine and stir flours, sugar, baking soda, 1 tsp paprika, dry mustard and set aside
In another bowl, whisk egg and almond milk together
Remove chicken from marinade and dredge one piece of chicken at a time in egg bath, ensuring each side is wet and dredge in flour mixture coating each sidePlace each flour coated chicken piece on a wire rack with pan on bottom
Spray each piece liberally with olive oil covering both sides
Place tray of chicken in oven
After 12 mins, turn each piece of chicken over mid way through baking
After about 25 mins – 30 mins, chicken should be completely cooked and crispy
Take out of the oven and let rest at least 5 mins
While chicken is resting, butter buns and place in oven for 3-5 mins
Take buns out of oven, place 3 pickles on bottom bun and chicken on top and ENJOY!

February 21, 2013 at 12:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm still eating the leftovers of Kentucky Fried Chicken I purchased over the weekend.

It's a little spicy for my taste, but overall, still really good.

If we must go with Ken's recipe, I might suggest some cilantro.

February 21, 2013 at 3:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"Take a look in the mirror yourself, you might see Phyllis Lindstrom staring back."

What about Rhoda Morgenstern?

February 21, 2013 at 3:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

To be honest i don't think I have the patience for that recipe myself! I am obviously Lou Grant.

February 21, 2013 at 9:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

That is definitely a much better recipe than Chik-fil-A uses. I highly recommend the marinating portion as well as flattening it out using a hammer or whatever for more quick/even cooking so you can brown the crust properly without burning. Although you can skip adding spices at the time of marinating, skip the pickle juice altogether and just marinate it in a saltwater solution with just a little sugar in a ziplock bag in the fridge. That's called a brine and will make the breast super tender. After brining, rub in the spices, then egg wash, and add some spices into the flour. Then you can just throw a couple pickles on a toasted/prepared bun at the end and that should make it a little easier. It's actually pretty easy, the ahead of time prep work is like 10 minutes to get the chicken marinating, then 10 minutes of prep to get them into the oven and then just turning them and preparing the buns.

Another hint from the recipe I posted earlier is to place some drops from the egg wash into the flour mixture which will help give it the right texture.

I'm not concerned with MSG alone, in reasonable quantities, it has been used in Asia for a long time. I think, if anything, it may react poorly with some other types of food additives typically added to processed foods containing MSG and the negative consequences seem to mirror those of HFCS which is also in most processed foods. So if you stay away from most processed foods as much as possible you should be ok.

I see it as a continuum.

Habit & SB Chicken Ranch > In n Out > Chik-Fil-A > Wendy's > Jack/McD's/Burger King/Carls Jr

If people are going to Chik-Fil-A over other fast food joints they are probably better off. In fact, I might even go as far as to say that Chik-Fil-A is likely going to serve healthier chicken than your neighborhood grocery store hot food window (with the exception of Lazy Acres and other health food grocers). It certainly tastes a lot better.

I'll probably only find myself there again if I'm on the road and the other options are fast food. Part of it is due to hesitance of possibly supporting groups that want to commit violence against others for their life choices. However as disgusting as some of those causes sound that they may or may not be donating to, it is likely that less than a half cent ends up going to them and realistically it really won't do much compared to the vast sums we are sending to Monsanto with most of our food purchases, a company who seems bent on killing everybody, not just LGBT.

I welcome more info on whether the company is continuing to donate to organizations that are supporting the death penalty in some African countries, that isn't the first time I've heard about that issue. It is a good angle if sufficient proof is provided and it gains enough attention.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 1:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Loon, we should make these. Or you and S and S can while I watch the Oscars!

February 21, 2013 at 2:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Multicultural Craft Program: Japan