Bike Path Love’ Creator Arrested For Injury DUI

Friday, October 11, 2013
Comments
Brent Pella
Click to enlarge photo

SBPD

Brent Pella

Brent Pella, a 23-year-old Los Angeles resident and recent UCSB graduate whose music video “Bike Path Love” went semi-viral on YouTube, was arrested early Friday morning for felony DUI resulting in injury, according to the Santa Barbara Police Department. Pella was turning left onto Carrillo Street from Bath Street around 2:59 a.m. when he allegedly struck a 24-year-old man who was walking across Carrillo, causing the man to suffer life-threatening injuries. The man, who police said is from Fullerton, was transported to the Cottage Hospital Emergency Room and his current condition is not being disclosed.

A 23-year-old male passenger who was in Pella’s car was uninjured, said police spokesman Sgt. Riley Harwood, who added that the investigation into the accident is still ongoing. Pella’s blood alcohol content clocked in at 0.11, and the results of his blood test are pending. Pella’s Facebook account shows that he was back in town Thursday night to play a show with his band at Wildcat Lounge.

According to his LinkedIn page, Pella graduated from UCSB in 2012 with a bachelor’s degree in film and media studies. His UCSB tenure included more than two years working for The Daily Nexus, as well as his 2012 video, “Bike Path Love,” a hit on campus and beyond that, to date, has generated nearly 70,000 views. Pella made the video with Thumbs Up Entertainment, a video production company he founded in July 2011.

Following his arrest, he was booked into Santa Barbara County Jail on $100,000 bail.

Comments

So let's see: A man who simply was trying to get from point A to point B might die--or have permanant injuries, all his loved ones are affected, Pella probably wishes he could wake up from the nightmare his ill-advised decision has created, and meanwhile we live in a culture that celebrates alcohol while people continue to drink and drive.

Got it.

October 11, 2013 at 6:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Bill I have to wonder if the pedestrian was sober and was obeying traffic laws? I remember crossing that intersection one time and... wait, I mean, I remember NOT remembering crossing that intersection one time.. Fortunately I did make it home ok. Are we absolutely 100% positive that alcohol was a factor for the driver, considering also that sober traffic accidents also happen every single day?

I also have to wonder if the reason why DUI accidents aren't more common sometimes is because people tend to drive drunk more at night and it happens to be dark at night and so maybe that is the more significant reason why they happen ore often? So is the cause being drunk, or is it that it happens to be dark? I don't know, but I do know a lot of people can drive perfectly fine if they are in the buzzed/semi drunk range. I also know that alcohol causes people to become more brazen and courageous and when they do actually become more severely intoxicated may have a more cavelier attitude about driving when they really shouldn't. I'm not saying 'it's all good', but .11 is really not that heavily intoxicated, for some, and while it may or may not have affected this guy there are others who get pulled over and suffer severe consequences when there may be zero accidents in the future.

There are a lot of things that increase the likelihood of having a car accident, and many of them are legal or at least semi-legal as in you probably wouldn't get in trouble if pulled over but may affect your driving. Adjusting the radio or other items on the console, conversations with people in the car or disciplinary measures toward your children, taking prescription meds, being tired, etc.

Always remember, the woman who started MADD quit her involvement when the organization got out of her hands and started lobbying congress to LOWER the legal drinking limit. She didn't want them to lower it, she just wanted them to enforce the one they had, which was .10.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
October 11, 2013 at 9:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I am only commenting within the context of the article. If the writer did not include that information, the onus is upon her to do so but past experience has shown that Indy writers are careful about vetting their information before posting articles so it's reasonable for me to assume we have all the basic information.

By the way, how many times do I have to tell you about the guy with a 0.069 blood alcohol content that plowed into my dad? Believe me, I know all the details of that one, and there were no extenuating circumstances in that accident.

The points you raise are not valid in this context, and all I'm trying to do is to refute the myth that having a drink or two is always harmless. For the umpteenth time: Don't drink and drive. Why is that so hard for people to get through their heads?

October 11, 2013 at 10:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

@billclausen,

The economic fuel that runs Dismal Land by the Sea is alcohol, plain and simple. Just clean up the trash from one of the beach parties the twenty somethings leave on the beach or go to a political event. This town swims in booze.

howgreenwasmyvalley (anonymous profile)
October 12, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And it seems all they talk about is their alcohol-related life and they are deep in denial about how their behavior affects others.

October 12, 2013 at 6:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Bill, what I'm questioning is whether that guy would have plowed into your dad whether he was .00 or .069. Maybe if he was sober he would have been going faster and injurred your dad or his car even worse. We don't really know the answer to that question. The fact is sober accidents happen every day too. And there are alcoholics who drive around every day and never get into an accident. And yes, there are supposedly statistical correlations with drunk driving and accidents but I don't think they are valid at lower levels for many people and there may be many other factors such as age, time of day, number of people in the car and other distractions which may play into those statistics.

@howgreenwasmyvalley I don't doubt that sometimes 20 somethings leave trash at the beach from their parties on occasion, but in all of the parties I've ever been to on the beach everybody was very careful to bring out all of their trash. On top of that, I've lived here for over 10 years and have never seen witnessed trash from a party left on the beach and I used to go hike on the Ellwood bluffs with my dog EVERY WEEKEND and there were high school kids and UCSB students partying on the beach around bonfires down there constantly...... So just because it happens 1-2% of the time doesn't mean you need to slander everybody who wants to go have a bonfire with some friends and bring some beers. Most of them have a great time doing it and it amazes me that people just come on here and talk about how horrible it is when these are the experiences that make life fun and great for many and help people bond and celebrate. You are turning it into this huge negative thing that it really isn't.

You are both right that pretty much everybody in this town drinks, young and old, it's part of the culture here. That said, if what you guys are saying is right there should be a lot more bad things happening in this town.. But the fact is with everything going on here things actually go very well!! I mean, yes, if everybody went to bed at 9:30 on Friday and Saturday night like you guys, the town would be a lot safer at night - but people want to live their lives and enjoy going out and blowing off some steam on the weekend and I have always felt very safe living here.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
October 13, 2013 at 10:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

People can drink all they want, swim in booze, have alcohol-related lives and live in moral perdition; that's not the point. It's driving drunk that's the point. Despite the fact that some people may be able to drive with some level or other of BAC doesn't negate the stats which strongly show a correlation between .1 and serious injury collisions, day and night. There are always "other factors" beyond anyone's control that can cause accidents--angle of light, sudden noises, animals in the road, etc.--which is why it makes sense to eliminate one significant factor that is controllable, intoxication.

Nitz (anonymous profile)
October 14, 2013 at 1:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"Bill, what I'm questioning is whether that guy would have plowed into your dad whether he was .00 or .069. Maybe if he was sober he would have been going faster and injurred your dad or his car even worse. We don't really know the answer to that question."
My dad was stopped for several seconds waiting to turn left, then he got hit. Yes, maybe the man that hit him was reading Ariel and Will Durant's History Of The World, Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks, or was even tap dancing like Fred Astaire when he hit him and thus got distracted, but as the legal proceedings concluded, alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Moreover, the other factors that DO play into intoxicated drivers is how much sleep they are running on, whether or not they drank on an empty stomach, and others. When my sister got to the scene of the accident she reported that the man was reeking of alcohol, and that he wanted to leave the scene.

Accept it Loonpt, one should not drink and drive, that way, if they do hit somebody, (assuming they aren't tap dancing, reading, texting, or doing anything else they shouldn't be doing) at least they can have a clear conscience when they go to bed that night. It's such a simple solution: Don't drink and drive, yet so many can't get the message.

October 14, 2013 at 3:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I hope the victim survives and makes a full recovery for two reasons: One (obviously) is so that his loved ones don't have to deal with the senseless loss, and also so that the victim doesn't have to do through life with a permanent disability. The second, is so that Pella doesn't have to bear the burden of knowing he took or destroyed a life.

I can't believe how many fools drive among us--many of them college-educated no less.

October 14, 2013 at 3:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@loonpt,

Mesa Lane Stairs any Sunday morning, at day break, before the good people drag it up 235 stairs to put in the trash, weekends that have low tide at night. MLS is the epicenter for 20 something beach trash on this side of town.

howgreenwasmyvalley (anonymous profile)
October 14, 2013 at 6:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

What happened to just south of Hendry's? That's where they used to be around there. I guess they shut them down, but I'd bet if they didn't they would be cleaner because you don't have all those steps to carry your stuff back up (not saying that is a good excuse). I surf Mesa Lane on a semi-regular basis and have never seen trash left over, but again I don't doubt it happens.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
October 15, 2013 at 5:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And Bill, I don't encourage drunk driving, I've done more than my share of at minimum reminding the person with an 'are you SURE you are ok to drive?' to 'Hey, why don't we walk together' to physically attempting to stop a person from driving when they are too drunk. But on the other hand, I know people who are excellent drunk drivers. They are better than the vast majority of sober drivers. I don't know if DUI laws are the answer, but I would be a lot more OK with them if they changed the limits or tested differently. A sort of field sobriety test to see if the person is relatively in control of themselves I think would be superior to a BAC test, or at least make sure a person fails a field sobriety test before testing their limits (and raise the limits back to .10)

But you know what an even better solution would be? Take away the cab licensing systems and let the free market work it out. That would drastically lower cab fees and you would get more drunk people willing to pay what are currently very high rates. Are you scared of taking a cab from a company you've never used before and that is why some people feel the need for government to license cab drivers? Then don't use those companies. Use a reputable company. But I should be able to call anybody I want for a ride home so I can find a cheaper rate.

Of course, here is the face of MADD today...

North Andover High School’s Erin Cox says she got a call two weeks ago from a friend at a party who said she was too drunk to drive. She said she went to pick up the friend, because she didn’t want the friend driving drunk or getting into a vehicle with an intoxicated driver.

By the time Erin arrived at the party, police were already there. They arrested several students for underage possession of alcohol.

Erin was cleared by police for not drinking or being in the possession of alcohol, but that didn’t stop school officials from punishing her for violating a no tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol, her mother, Eleanor Cox, told WBZ-TV.

‘‘She did what she thought was right, and I'm very proud of her,’’ Eleanor Cox said.

The family has hired a lawyer and filed a lawsuit last week, but a judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction.

"Mothers Against Drunk Driving of Massachusetts said while Erin had good intentions, her friend should have called an adult."

Sounds like they are encouraging drunk driving to me.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
October 15, 2013 at 5:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)