KEYT anchors Shirin Rajee and Joe Gehl read the 5 o'clock news (August 17, 2012)

Jack Crosbie

Joe Gehl Leaving KEYT

Latest in Personnel Shake-Ups at the Station

Friday, January 4, 2013
Comments

Joe Gehl, who anchored KEYT’s evening and nighttime broadcasts for the last six years, is leaving the station.

Gehl worked in San Diego, Milwaukee, and Tucson before he came to Santa Barbara, and said he “is headed to the private sector,” according to a statement provided to The Santa Barbara Independent by KEYT news director C.J. Ward. “It has been a humbling honor and privilege to hold the nightly anchor position at KEYT for more than six years, and the responsibility was never lost on me,” he said. “Neither was your trust, support, and patience. While it wasn’t always perfect, you got the best of me.”

In September, Smith Media LLC announced the station was being sold to Missouri-based News-Press & Gazette Co. Gehl’s departure is the latest in comings and goings at the station, which has lost some reporters while also gaining new ones, including, in the last year or so, hiring away two reporters — Sara Bush and Victoria Sanchez — from competitor KCOY.

Comments

Gehl already is in the "private sector" but he likely means out of TV and/or news.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 4, 2013 at 3:04 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's pretty sad he doesn't know what "private sector" means.

January 4, 2013 at 3:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Gonna miss those eyebrows.
Now can we please get rid of Mrs. Ochoa? Watching her lose and gain and lose and gain weight while trying to stumble her way through teleprompter crawls is dizzyingly laughable.

Beachgirl77 (anonymous profile)
January 4, 2013 at 10:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ken: It's pretty sad you have to take a Cheap shot at him as he departs.

Beachgirl: She's had medical issues, thus the weight fluxuation. Are you a perfect size (fill in the blank)? Has your weight always remained the same? Didn't think so. Attacking how someone looks is uncalled for and immature. Grow up and show some respect. Can't even call her by her right name? Classy you are.

Johnny_Incognito (anonymous profile)
January 5, 2013 at 12:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

How much are shots going for? And why do you care?

January 5, 2013 at 2:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Does this mean they'll bring back King Harris and Bill Huddy?

January 5, 2013 at 3:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Bring back Jennifer Bjorklund!

January 5, 2013 at 3:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Word of advice to new owners:
Infomercials kill ratings. Short term gain, long term loss. People just stop tuning in because there's always an infomercial on.
Better to consistently sell smaller ads and retain/build viewers with programming then one lump payday and and zero/dwindling viewers.

January 5, 2013 at 3:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Good advice.

And how 'bout HD in the studio? A few years behind LA and Santa Maria (!).

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
January 5, 2013 at 4:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Good news on that front JL, the new owners recently announced an HD upgrade.

January 5, 2013 at 4:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"(Incoming general manager) Danielson says a significant investment in the station’s infrastructure is in the works which he hopes will make a positive impact on KEYT’s viewers across the region."

A few days ago, an AVS Forum user noticed KEYT just put up an over-the-air transmitter on Cuesta Ridge for SLO antenna viewers:

January 6, 2013 at 3:04 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"UCSB Mafia satellite media"
THAT IS SO HELPFUL AND MEANINGFUL

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 9:33 a.m. (Suggest removal)

If we got the best of Thag (my name for him), someone else will now get it.

And WooWoo----please dude: DOUBLE YOUR MEDS. Zzzzzz.

Draxor (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 10:57 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@ Johnny_Incognito - Techinically Mrs. Ochoa is accurate since she is married to Judge Frank Ochoa. She simply opts to use her maiden name, Lopez, on air.

I agree with billclausen, bring back King Harris...and throw in Christine Craft, just because!

hrmom (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 11 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Umm, no, hrmom, "Mrs. Ochoa" is not "techinically" accurate unless Paula Lopez has changed her name to that one, which she has not and likely never will.

It is as simple as that. And one wonders about women who change their perfectly good names for no reason other than marriage.

But, yes, bring back Christine Craft and Jennifer Bjorklund, who is now On The Beach.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 11:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It's actually Lopez Ochoa so I stand corrected.

Either way, I miss the on-air staff of the past.

hrmom (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 11:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

And just what is the basis for these "Latest in Personnel Shake-Ups at the Station"? Is there something the public is unaware of? Why would any sane person with such employment in lovely Santa Barbara want to leave but for unspoken and guarded reasons? The very use of the word "shake-ups" raises eyebrows! Aw, heck. Let me cut to the chase. Is there some "dirt" under the rug?

salsipuedes (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 12:41 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I didn't think that was a cheap shot, Ken. I too read "private sector" and thought, what?
Definitely a cheap shot about Paula Lopez though, Beachgirl. I say, when one finds oneself wanting to make a negative comment about someone's weight, how 'bout just... don't. Anyway Paula definitely looked all-over ill for a while there, and I'm happy to see her looking better. All journalistic criteria aside.
Mr. Adams, I changed my perfectly good name because I wanted to have the same name as my husband and children, and I don't like hyphenated names. I kept my maiden name as my middle name and use all three. I like it. Here, though, I use my double secret undercover name, Mrs. Nitz.

Nitz (anonymous profile)
January 7, 2013 at 8:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I think good broadcast journalists come in all shapes and sizes.

January 7, 2013 at 8:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

As for beachgirl's comment she typifies the elitist "you can't be too rich or too thin" attitude which is prevelant in Southern California.

January 7, 2013 at 8:55 p.m. (Suggest removal)

She does tend to convey a give me convenience or I'll sue you attitude.

January 7, 2013 at 9:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

BeachGirl...so so true!! Everytime I get stuck on KEYT because nothing else is on, she's a different size and can hardly ever read correctly. She's so annoying, I get caught staring at her caked on makeup rather than what she's attempting to say. I personally don't care what size she is, but woman, learn to report properly!

I'm just sick of KEYT in general. Last ones on scene, no real news coverage, them just yabbing on and on about stupid topics. I've heard better local coverage from KTLA and CNN for heaven's sake. It's like they're afraid of reporting on actual news for fear it might wake people up.

Muggy (anonymous profile)
January 8, 2013 at 5:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

While I condemn the above superficial remarks regarding said anchor, Muggy is quite right in their second paragraph. But it's not the residents they're afraid of waking up; it's the tourists they're afraid of scaring off.

January 8, 2013 at 6:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't think Joe Gehl is fat.
Why are the comments here obsessed about that theory?
He lost his job and should be remembered and respected.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 8, 2013 at 7:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Forever lost in that great private sector abyss.

January 8, 2013 at 7:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Mr. Adams: The term is "big boned. Ken: The term for "Muggy" is "overcondensation of water vapor".

KEYT not only can be comically amateurish in its presentation, but bizarre in its content. I've noticed (and I only watch it occasionally) that they sometimes get obsessed on themes. The other night it was a bunch of meaningless TMZ-style reports out of Florida. Sometimes they'll do a bunch of reports on a certain disaster, like a bunch of unrelated fires.

January 8, 2013 at 7:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

They get the out of region news stories from a service or two. Like the old newspaper syndicates only video.

January 8, 2013 at 8:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm sorry to see Joe Gehl go but I hope they retain the rest of the staff. I like UCSB alumnus Paula Lopez. I'd also like to see Tracy Lehr more often on KEYT. I met her briefly and she was very nice and informative.

TTM (anonymous profile)
January 9, 2013 at 3:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't like when news anchors put their personal taste into their reports. In case they haven't noticed, reporting on something has nothing to do with your personal opinion.

Muggy (anonymous profile)
January 9, 2013 at 4:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

SHOCKED AND SADDENED to see you go Mr. Gehl. To everybody else commenting here, get a life. WILL MISS KEYT as my local news. Obviously life is changing here in SB/Goleta. Not for the better either.

ruralwannabe (anonymous profile)
January 18, 2013 at 10:55 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh, so sad. Boo hoo- where can I get my "Local" news and such a great team.I agree that KTLA used to be far better than KEYT, until local politics took them off the air up here in "Paradise" Wake up! Comment by Bill Clausen is so right in that KEYT buys various news reports from various suppliers. More regional/national blurbs and reports than local.
I won't miss Joe Gehl. KEYT has only one good, reliable reporter and that is John Palminteri, and he's wise enough and been there long enough to stay away from the goings-on in the news-room. The rest of the gang are amateurish -with the exception of Tracy who also is wise enough to stay Ventura reporter.

Ozdrmr (anonymous profile)
January 22, 2013 at 5:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)