Artist rendering of Hollister Village

Westar Associates

Artist rendering of Hollister Village

Hollister Village Breaks Ground In Goleta

Mixed-Use Project Will Feature 266 Apartments and Shopping Center

Friday, October 18, 2013
Comments

Developers and Goleta officials broke ground Wednesday for the city’s next big project: Hollister Village, an apartment complex-meets-retail hub that spent several years obtaining approval while being championed by area business leaders and criticized by residents concerned about clogged roads and reduced mountain views.

The project, located on Hollister Avenue across from the Camino Real Marketplace and expected to open in 2015, will offer 266 one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments alongside a shopping center that could house a drugstore, grocery store, and restaurants.

“We’re so happy you’re coming into the neighborhood,” said Tony Vallejo, the chair of the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce’s board of directors. Kristen Miller, the chamber’s president, echoed that sentiment, lauding the project for being “right in the heart of our city, right where we employ people.”

Goleta mayor Roger Aceves at the Hollister Village groundbreaking
Click to enlarge photo

Jay Farbman

Goleta mayor Roger Aceves at the Hollister Village groundbreaking

Mayor Roger Aceves also spoke at the ceremony, alluding to the site’s long history — after being purchased many years before, the plan was approved by the city council last October and finally cleared by the Design Review Board in July — and emphasizing its fit with the city’s General Plan. “This truly was a partnership in getting this project done,” he said.

Peter Koetting with Westar Associates, the project’s developer, likewise noted the “community effort” in getting the space to please a variety of interests. “We nailed it,” he said. “It wasn’t easy.”

Related Links

Comments

Every time I drove past that vast, empty field, I would look at it with a heavy heart. Knowing that some day it would be covered in concrete and buildings always made my heart hurt. More pesticides and more high nitrogen fertilizers poisoning the earth. More power tools fouling up the air.

Here we go. Who cares if the hawks have one less field to hunt, right?

chilldrinfthenight (anonymous profile)
October 18, 2013 at 3:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Just throw around the phrases "transportation corridor'""density" "Low Income' and "Inclusionary" and you are good to go.
I'm nostalgic for the days when SB Progressives would lay down in front of bulldozers.

garfish (anonymous profile)
October 19, 2013 at 10:42 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Yup, developers and oil co's used to be the arch-enemies of liberals. They still hate the oil co's, but have turned the other cheek on developers.

Botany (anonymous profile)
October 19, 2013 at 11:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I haven't been following this issue so last night when I drove through Old Town Goleta for the first time in however many months it's been I saw the changes and found it quite depressing.

It's just more of the hip upscale sterile Yuppie architecture that took over Santa Barbara.

I haven't been down the Eastside of Santa Barbara for several years, and now I'm wondering if they've done the same thing there.

October 19, 2013 at 7:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Forgot to add: I totally agree with the three previous posters. Today's version of "progressive" is NOT the liberalism I knew when I was young. They give the word "liberal" a bad name.

October 19, 2013 at 7:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's time for Goleta to put the breaks on such out-of-control development. Enough is enough! The intersection at Storke and Hollister is already suffocating from traffic congestion. Things will only get worse.

As for the other commenters that blame "liberals" and "progressives", I can only imagine that this is a reflexive conservative reaction to blame the other side for anything they don't like. There's nothing "liberal" or "progressive" about unrestrained development.

Nockamixon (anonymous profile)
October 21, 2013 at 9:50 a.m. (Suggest removal)

As long as you're developing, give me a Target, OK?

jessi805 (anonymous profile)
October 21, 2013 at 1:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The natural world is disappearing fast.

Georgy (anonymous profile)
October 21, 2013 at 6:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)