With a statewide phaseout of lead ammunition slated for completion by July 1, 2019, adult California hunters can sign up for free non-lead ammunition through the Salinas-based Ventana Wildlife Society. The raffle program gives out free copper bullets, available to residents of the 18 counties within historic flyways of the California condor, a federally endangered New World vulture and North America’s largest land bird. Condors feed on gut piles and carcasses of shot animals, which can poison the birds if lead ammunition was used. For more information on the program, go to ventanaws.org.
More like this story
- Condors Continue to Show High Lead Levels
- Lead Ammo Ban Passes Legislature
- Oakland Zoo, CamZone Networks, and Ventana Wildlife Society Partner to Create a New Live-Streaming-Webcam for Viewing Upcoming California Condor Release into the Wild
- State Starts Phasing in Non-Lead Ammo for Hunting
- Lead Ammo Phase-Out Starts Second Phase