North Goleta drivers will soon be seeing new stop signs. As part of the Cathedral Oaks Bridge Replacement project, the realigned intersection of Cathedral Oaks Road and Calle Real will have a three-way stop. The stop signs will be installed later this week. When the new bridge is opened, the intersection will be a four-way stop. Previously, the intersection only had a stop sign for traffic southbound on Cathedral Oaks Road at Calle Real.
In addition, work on the Cathedral Oaks Bridge replacement project will affect traffic in Goleta from now through November 1st. Three areas will be impacted:
The end of Hollister Avenue near Sandpiper Golf Course will be graded and paved to create the new intersection. While there are no full road closures, only a single lane will be open to vehicle traffic during the following times:
– Monday – Thursday: Midnight to 6am, 8am-4pm and 8pm-Midnight
– Fridays: Midnight – 6am, and 8am-1pm
Highway 101 will have shoulder and single lane closures over the next two weeks while the falsework is erected over the freeway.
The freeway will be completely closed at the following times:
– Monday – Thursday: Midnight – 5am and 8pm – Midnight
– Friday: Midnight – 5am
– Sunday: 10pm – Midnight
At all other times, one lane of traffic will be open. Caltrans will have signs posted on the freeway and on and off ramps in this area to direct traffic.
During the full closures, drivers will be directed as follows:
– Those heading north on the 101 should exit at Glen Annie/Stroke and take Calle Real through to the northbound on ramp just past the existing Cathedral Oaks Bridge. Drivers heading south on the 101 should exit at Winchester Canyon and take Hollister Avenue to the southbound on ramp at Glen Annie/Storke.
Finally, the southbound 101 on-ramp at Hollister Avenue and the northbound off-ramp at Winchester Canyon will be closed at the following times:
– Mondays – Thursdays: Midnight – 5am, 8am-2pm, 8pm- Midnight
– Fridays: Midnight – 5am
– Sundays: 9pm-Midnight
The closures are necessary for the safety of workers and the public. The closures may increase traffic at the Storke/Glen Annie interchange, so drivers may want to allow a little extra time when traveling in that area.
This new intersection is part of the Cathedral Oaks Bridge Replacement Project which will construct a new overcrossing on a new alignment with Cathedral Oaks Road to replace the existing overcrossing at Winchester Canyon Road. The project is proceeding as planned with expected completion in 2011.