Firefighters woke residents Tuesday night at a Summit Lane home that was consumed in smoke.

City firefighters woke residents Tuesday night at a home on the 100 block of Summit Lane after discovering smoke coming from its eaves. City Fire Engine 2 responded at approximately 10:27 p.m. to reports of smoke in the area. Additional city firefighters and firefighters from Montecito’s fire district arrived on scene to help extinguish the flames, which city fire engineer and spokesperson Rich Griguoli said, “is believed to have started in the sub-floor adjacent to a fireplace.”

No one was injured, as the Engine 2 crew alerted sleeping residents before they came to harm. Griguoli said the home, which endured about $20,000 in damages, had no working smoke alarm. The City Fire Department reminds community members that functioning smoke alarms can save lives.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.