Toy manufacturer and businessman Ty Warner’s 18,000 square foot home caught fire early Thursday morning, causing an estimated $5 million in damages. Firefighters from the Santa Barbara city and county fire departments, Carpinteria-Summerland Fire District and the Montecito Fire Protection District responded, taking roughly three hours to contain the fire at 1001 Fairway Rd., which was first reported at 1 a.m. Thursday.
The fire was reported by security at the residence and was contained to just two rooms. Seven engines one truck company, one urban search and rescue vehicle, one rescue vehicle, one ambulance and several command vehicles responded, bringing more than 35 firefighters to the scene. Sprinklers also had been activated in the home as well. The cause of the fire was an overheated fireplace chase (the casing around the chimney) according to a press release from Montecito Fire Protection District spokesperson Geri Ventura.
The fire happened in the main house, which is currently being built. In a statement Friday, a spokesman for Warner’s company downplayed the severity of the fire. “There was a relatively small fire contained within the construction site of Ty Warner’s residence,” said Greg Rice, executive vice president of Ty Warner Hotels & Resorts. “We are currently in the process of assessing the damage and the cause. Our sincere appreciation goes out to our local fire agencies for their quick and efficient response.”