You can take a vacation this summer with few worries if you take some preventive measures before leaving to ensure your house is firesafe.
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department suggests these precautions prior to leaving on vacation:
• Close windows and shutters
• Check your smoke detectors to make sure they are functioning when you return from vacation. Batteries could run down or other components could fail while you’re away.
• Check to make sure that all stoves have been turned off or disconnected.
• Turn off all unnecessary appliances and make sure everything that draws current is unplugged.
• Put your irrigation system on a timer, or enlist someone to water your property if and when needed to help maintain plant health and fire resistance.
• Make sure all flammable materials are stored completely away from the exterior of your home.
• Leave your house and car keys with a trusted neighbor or relative in case of an emergency.
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department hopes these precautions will allow you to enjoy your vacation knowing that your property is fire-safe.