County Board and Commission Vacancies

Openings for Volunteer Citizens Within 1st District

County Supervisor Salud Carbajal is seeking community members who live in the 1st District and are interested in serving on the following boards and commissions: Alcohol Drug Advisory Board; Air Pollution Control District Community Advisory Council; Commission for Women; Historic Landmarks Advisory Committee; and the Veterans Services Advisory Committee.

“Serving on a board or commission is a wonderful opportunity for area residents to become actively involved with local government and their community” said Supervisor Carbajal. “I welcome and encourage those with an interest in serving on one of these commissions to apply for one of the current vacancies.”

Applicants must reside within the 1st District of Santa Barbara County and will, in some cases, need to meet eligibility requirements specific to the commissions. The following is a brief description of the commissions:

  • Advisory Board on Alcohol and Drug Problems: Advises the county and the public on matters relating to county alcohol and drug programs including; budget, strategic planning and programming. Open to all members of the public including those who have received drug and/or alcohol treatment or rehabilitation services.
  • Air Pollution Control District Community Advisory Council: Advises the air pollution control officer and Board of Directors in matters related to attainment and maintenance planning to meet air quality standards and development and promulgation of air pollution control rules and other policy issues. Technical experience in the field is recommended.
  • Commission for Women: Advises the Board of Supervisors in critical areas affecting women and promotes the well-being and equal status of women in Santa Barbara County.
  • Historic Landmarks Advisory Committee: Advises the Board of Supervisors and other county departments in issues relating to preservation and interpretation of historic sites and structures in the county unincorporated area.
  • Veterans’ Services Advisory Committee: Ensures that each veteran and/or their family obtain entitlement benefits for which they may be eligible.

For an application form, visit the county Web site (PDF), or call Supervisor Carbajal’s office at 568-2186.

For consideration, the application deadline is September 17, 2010.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.