PUEBLO and PUEBLO Action Fund are looking for an experienced, highly motivated, and fully bilingual (English and Spanish) organizer that will identify leaders, develop leadership trainings, form coalitions and organize issue and movement-building electoral campaigns. A dedicated and passionate organizer will thrive in this job amidst the political and economic challenges presented to low-income families locally and nationally.
The PUEBLO Movement is the only multi-issue community-based organization strengthening the power and leadership of low-income Santa Barbara County residents at the neighborhood level. The PUEBLO Movement’s core issues are immigrants’ rights, tenants’ rights, workers rights, affordable housing, public transportation, and education. PUEBLO is a growing organization that has formed strong local coalitions and gained name recognition through state and national alliances. The PUEBLO movement comprises People United for Economic Justice Building Leadership through Organizing (PUEBLO), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and the PUEBLO Action Fund (PAF), a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Employees divide their time between the two organizations.
PUEBLO’s organizing model aims to decentralize decision-making structures, which allows community leaders impacted by the issues to be at the forefront of the movement for social justice. Organizers utilize the House Meeting model to identify leaders and create neighborhood committees that determine the issues of the organizations and make strategic and political decisions on their campaigns. Many member leaders eventually serve on PUEBLO or PAF’s Boards of Directors.
Summary of the Position
The organizer is responsible for identifying and training new leaders, developing a vibrant grassroots organizing and leadership development program, providing leadership in campaign and political strategy, and building coalitions. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in grassroots organizing, campaign and political strategy, a passion for social justice, and experience in aligning local community organizing strategies for local, state, and national impact. The organizer is supervised by the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Grassroots Organizing and Leadership Development:
* Assist in the development of programs and plans to develop and strengthen the skills of leaders
* Design political education trainings for grassroots leaders and members that will help strengthen and align our organizing campaigns and goals and expand our grassroots fundraising capacity
Campaign Development and Coalition Building:
* Assist in developing and implementing political, issue, house meeting, and media campaigns
* Lead and implement local campaign strategy development and coalition building strategies
* Maintain a working knowledge of issues affecting low-income people in the community and the national, state and local political landscape
* Public speaking
* Serving as an ambassador of the organization at external events
* Using appropriate forms and PUEBLO’s database to track campaign and organizational development
* Updating members utilizing PUEBLO’s website and email blasts
* Translation of information and materials
* Occasional work on weekends and evenings
* Should have own vehicle
* Bilingual/biliterate in Spanish/English
* At least one year of experience in grassroots, movement-building organizing, leadership development and;
* Experience in electoral organizing including, initiative and candidate endorsement, precinct walking, phone banking, and voter education
* Strong communication skills and attention to detail;
* Demonstrate ability to take initiative, multi-task, possess good judgment, and work independently and as part of a team;
* Willingness to learn new techniques, ideas and skills;
* Flexible and able to travel
Salary & Benefits:
A competitive, professional salary is dependent on experience. Range: $34,000-$38,000. Benefits package includes health, dental, generous vacations, sick leave. PUEBLO and PUEBLO Action Fund are equal opportunity employers.
Apply by September 10, 2010
Send to email@example.com all of the following information: 1) cover letter explaining why you are interested in this specific position; 2) resume; and 3) three professional references that include phone numbers and emails. The position starts October 1, 2010.