PSA: Fire Resistant Plants
Look for plants with fire-resistant characteristics such as:
• The ability to store water in the leaves or stems
• The ability to sprout after a fire
• Plants that produce limited dead and fine material
• Plants that have extensive, deep, root systems for controlling erosion
• Plants with a high moisture content that are maintained with limited watering
• Low growing plants
• Plants with low levels of volatile oils or resins
• Plants that are not considered invasive
• Slow growing plants that require little maintenance.
The moisture content of plants is an important consideration because high levels of moisture can lower fire risk by reducing the intensity and spread of fire. The Santa Barbara County Fire Department recommends visiting your local nurseries or botanical gardens to help you make the most of your garden.
For more information on precautions to help you protect your property from a wildfire, please review the Ready! Set! Go! program by visiting our web site at www.sbcfire.com .