The report is available online at:

Overall findings of the 2010 report include the following:

· State funding for UC pay continued to decline – by $174 million in 2010 – while funding from hospital and research sources increased. Total pay from teaching hospitals grew by $76 million, and from federal government sources – primarily for research – by $80 million.

· Less than 30 percent of funding for systemwide compensation came from state general funds and educational fees, more than a third came from clinical revenue and other sources associated with UC’s teaching hospitals and the medical/dental compensation plans, and about 4 percent came from other student fees such as those associated with summer session and University Extension. The remainder came from such sources as the federal government, private contracts, special state and local government appropriations, grants and gifts, and sales and services such as student dormitories and meal plans.

· Approximately 40 percent of compensation in 2010 went to academic employees, primarily to faculty and researchers. The remaining 60 percent went to non-academic employees, including those who support academic departments, student services, patient care and other university functions.

· UC’s total payroll of roughly $9.88 billion in 2009 grew to just under $10 billion in 2010, an increase of about 1 percent, a smaller increase than in prior years. This increase is attributable to a combination of factors, including 10 percent growth in research expenditures.

· As in previous years, the “top 10 earning” employees at UC in 2010, based on total pay, were health sciences faculty members – typically world-renowned physicians with substantial income from their clinical practices at UC medical centers – and athletic coaches, who are paid from non-state funds.

The payroll database on which the 2010 report is based is publicly available upon request through the UC Office of the President in Oakland and from locations at each of the UC campuses as indicated at the above website.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.