Santa Barbara authorities said “unusual” videos posted to Instagram Monday night prompted a safety scare at San Marcos High School this morning. Students who had already arrived to class were initially told to leave campus, but then were given the all-clear to remain.
“The Sheriff’s Office is investigating all aspects of the case and has determined there is no credible threat at this time,” said Sheriff’s spokesperson Kelly Hoover. Authorities have not described what in the videos was concerning to campus safety.
The high school is not penalizing students who decide to remain home for the rest of the day. Some students are being offered extra credit to remain.
[UPDATE, 9:50 a.m.]: The Sheriff’s Office has identified and located the San Marcos High School student who had access to the school’s Instagram account and posted the videos. “Sheriff’s detectives are speaking with the student to determine the motivations behind the posts,” Hoover said, reiterating the department doesn’t perceive there to be any safety threats to the school.