After lighting a match while using aerosol can deodorant in an employee bathroom at Solvang’s Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort, authorities say a 50-year-old woman suffered first- and second-degree burns to her arms, hands, and face.

Firefighters responded at about 6:45 a.m. Sunday morning to a report of a medical emergency at the 1054 South Alisal Road vacation destination, said city fire Capt. David Zaniboni. They discovered the severely burned woman, whose name has not been released, inside the scorched bathroom. She was transported via American Medical Response (AMR) ambulance to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, said Zaniboni.

The explosion didn’t reach the rest of the building, and ranch manager David Lautensack declined to comment on the incident, saying, “We know absolutely nothing” pending the police’s report.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.