Riviera House Fire Was Accidental Electrical Start

A ladder truck and engine crews from three fire agencies responded to Saturday morning's conflagration on the Riviera. | Credit: Courtesy of Santa Barbara City Fire Department

A thick column of black smoke rising straight up followed by the pungent odor of burning plastic marked a fire at 1322 Dover Road that consumed a home entirely on Saturday. Santa Barbara City Fire engines and a ladder truck were the first to respond to the fire just before 10 a.m., arriving to see “flames rolling out of nearly every window,” reported Amber Anderson with City Fire. Both Montecito and County fire crews soon arrived to keep the fire on the city’s hilly Riviera neighborhood from spreading to nearby vegetation and homes.

The damage was put at $1.8 million and was likely attributable to an accidental “electrical malfunction,” Anderson said. A single person at home at the time escaped unharmed, and no firefighters were injured.


Every day, the staff of the Santa Barbara Independent works hard to sort out truth from rumor and keep you informed of what’s happening across the entire Santa Barbara community. Now there’s a way to directly enable these efforts. Support the Independent by making a direct contribution or with a subscription to Indy+.

Login

Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.