County officials have been observing the Gap Fire burn area and watershed since early this morning, according to a press release, assessing the possibility of floods from heavy rains. As of the posting of this article, meteorologists are reporting a 60 percent chance of not just showers but thunderstorms today, a 40 percent chance of rain tonight and 30 percent tomorrow.

The Santa Barbara County Public Works Department and Flood Control District reports that as of 8:30 a.m., all local creeks and streams are within normal levels but nonetheless warns that the burn area could be in jeopardy if storms increase in power. Officials are concerned that the area devastated by the Gap Fire in the Los Padres National Forest could flood and take debris with it as it moves down the mountains and hills toward Goleta.

That being said, however, the county also says that the current situation is no cause for alarm. “Our county crews continue to be out in the field monitoring things; everything remains normal and well within limits. A little bit of water has shown up in creeks, but nothing significant yet. Rain gauges and other equipment and in-field checks by our Public Works Department and Flood Control crews are still happening,” said county spokesperson William Boyer. “They have done yeoman’s work to help prepare the area and deserve a lot of credit for all of the advance work done.”

Residents are urged to monitor local media for updates or visit for current conditions. And check in later today at for any further developments.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.