La Presidenta Stephanie Petlow released a statement late Wednesday afternoon that filled in some of the blanks about the cancelation of Old Spanish Days dance performances. “Recently, three performers tested positive,” she announced late Wednesday afternoon. “Two had been vaccinated, one hadn’t.”
They had no symptoms and were in a 10-day quarantine, Petlow said. She had previously stated that “even one is too many” should members of the public become infected by the usual crowds at Fiesta events.
Contact tracing is being done by the Public Health Department, and follow-up tests had so far been negative, Petlow said.
Wednesday night was to be Fiesta Pequeña at the Old Mission, to which the public has been asked not to come. However, the lawn below the Mission is already dotted with blankets, though this afternoon the performance area was surrounded by big, tall trailers. The dancers are being recorded, and the video will be released at a future date, Old Spanish Days spokesperson David Bolton said.
[Update: August 5, 2021] In a follow-up conversation, Fiesta officials clarified that of the three who tested positive, only two were dancers. The dancers had proactively been testing daily and remain asymptomatic. Rumors had apparently swirled that more people had become infected, which prompted Old Spanish Days to release the information. The third individual was a musician unconnected to Fiesta.
Correction: This story was corrected on August 5 to state two, not three, dancers have tested positive. The third individual is a musician not connected with Fiesta.
At the Santa Barbara Independent, our staff is working around the clock to cover every aspect of this crisis — sorting truth from rumor. Our reporters and editors are asking the tough questions of our public health officials and spreading the word about how we can all help one another. The community needs us — now more than ever — and we need you in order to keep doing the important work we do. Support the Independent by making a direct contribution.