The Fund for Santa Barbara’s Youth Making Change program is a year-long, youth-led grant-making program launched in 2008 in order to provide young people with the opportunity to engage directly in organized philanthropy. Board members are youth ages 13 to 19.
Each YMC Board gives grants to projects that address issues and challenges directly affecting youth in Santa Barbara County. Each YMC Board (one in Santa Maria and one in Santa Barbara) gives out a total of $10,000 in grants of various sizes ($500 to $5,000) to projects that impact youth.
The Youth Making Change grant application is available now for download in English and Spanish from the Fund for Santa Barbara website or by visiting the Fund offices:
– Santa Maria Office: 120 East Jones Street, Suite 127, Santa Maria, CA 93454
– Santa Barbara Office: 26 West Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, Ca 93101
Basic Guidelines (see the application for complete project requirements)
* Projects must be youth-driven. Youth (ages 12 should be leaders in all aspects of the project.
* Youth in the community must benefit from the project, not just the planning team.
* Projects must address a social issue or meet an actual need facing young people in Santa Barbara County.
* Projects must be located in Santa Barbara County.
* Youth -led groups must have an adult ally or a sponsoring organization, such as a school or community-based organization.
Interest groups are encouraged to attend a YMC WORKSHOP:
– In Santa Barbara on Thursday, October 07, 2010 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Santa Barbara Public Library (Downstairs) – 40 East Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
– In Santa Maria on Thursday, October 14, 2010 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Santa Maria Public Library (Shepard Hall), 421 South McClelland Street, Santa Maria, CA 93454
Questions may be directed to Cristina González, Fund for Santa Barbara Program Manager, at 805-922-1707 or emailed at email@example.com.
Groups must submit their applications by 5:00 p.m. Monday, November 1, 2010
The Fund For Santa Barbara is a nonprofit community foundation that supports organizations working for social, economic, environment & political change in Santa Barbara County. Since its inception in 1980, The Fund has awarded nearly $4 million to more than 800 projects throughout Santa Barbara County.