You don’t have to be an Atheist or Agnostic to join or participate in Humanist Society of Santa Barbara activities — we encourage rational inquiry; scientific progress; artistic expression; human rights, compassion and social justice; environmental protection; and ethical behavior regardless of religious belief (or not). Membership and tax-deductible donations are invited at whatever level each individual can afford.
The Board of Directors of the Humanist Society of Santa Barbara, elected for 2010-2011 are:
– Ron Kronenberg, President
– Diane Krohn, Secretary
– Neal Rosenthal, Treasurer
– Jim Balter, Communications
– Wayne Beckman, Webmaster
– Sandy Garcia, Programs
– Andrew Hankin, Publicity
– Patricia Hiles, Caring Committee
– Joe Navarro, Activities
– Ray Stone, Newsletter Editor
– Mary Wilk, Membership
The Humanist Society of Santa Barbara is a 501(c)(3) Educational Nonprofit, established in 1995 as a secular community alternative to churches and other religious organizations. The public is invited to ten educational talks or films, twenty-four social dinners or brunches throughout the year, and a Summer Solstice party every June. In addition, there is a Winter Solstice dinner in December for members and guests only, and occasional celebrity visitor events. We publish a well-regarded newsletter, the “Secular Circular,” sent every month to our 160 members. Most months also have a Book Club discussion group.
Our next events will be:
– Saturday afternoon, November 20, “Behavioral Economics” with a Professor from UCSB;
– Sunday morning, November 28, Secular Thanksgiving Brunch;
– Saturday evening, December 18, members-only Winter Solstice dinner.