The 15th annual Vision and Task Conference on Learning and Attention Disabilities, sponsored by the Dyslexia Awareness and Resource Center, will be held Saturday, March 19th from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Marjorie Luke Theatre located at Santa Barbara Junior High School, 721 East Cota Street, in Santa Barbara.

During the conference, renowned educational consultant and inspirational speaker, Rick Lavoie, M.A., M. Ed., will present two workshops, “It’s So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success” and “The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child.” Both workshops are based on his books published respectively in 2005 and 2007.

Rick Lavoie

For more than 30 years, Rick Lavoie oversaw residential programs for children with special needs. The Massachusetts resident has filmed several videos on learning disabilities and has been a consultant for groups including Public Broadcasting Service, The New York Times and the National Center for Learning Disabilities.

From his work with kids, Rick realized long ago that children spend only about 4 percent of their time in class. During the other 96 percent of their hours outside the classroom walls, those with learning disabilities may be having just as tough a time adjusting to what’s expected of them.

The fee for the conference is $100, which includes a continental breakfast, refreshments and lunch. Continuing education credits are available.

To register, call the Dyslexia Awareness and Resource Center at 963-7339


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.