The theater now known as the Plaza Playhouse Theater will celebrate its 83rd year in operation with a free open house on Wednesday, April 27th, 5 pm to 7 pm.
Originally named the “Alcazar”, the theater officially opened its doors on April 27th, 1928 under the management of Oliver Prickett (sometimes known as Oliver Blake” of “Ma and Pa Kettle” fame. Opening night at the Alcazar featured a live band and the premier showing of a comedy “The Fifty-Fifty Girl”….admission was $1.10. Manager Prickett received telegrams of congratulations from MGM, Paramount and Christie Films among others.
Through the 83 years to follow, the Alcazar changed hands and names…such as the Ritz, the Del Mar, the Tradewinds and for the past few decades, the Plaza Theatre, most recently under the management of Metropolitan Theatres Corporation.
Metropolitan’s lease ended in October 2010, but the doors closed in September. The local theater was no longer a profitable venue. Though his company bowed out, David Corwin, President of Metropolitan, sought a. replacement tenant for the building. Corwin worked with the owners to maintain the historic building as a community resource.
When Metropolitan pulled out, they literally pulled out – the screen, the projector, the popcorn and soda machine, etc. Which has left the non profit management to raise the capital to keep the theater going. Donor levels have been set up and a gala event will be held on May 7th. Donor information, event details and additional information is available on the website at http://www.plazatheatercarpinteria.com.