Original Owner: Rollin and John Dunshee
Year Built: ca. 1880-1885
The history for this vintage property begins in 1867 when the entire block was owned by M. Striedl. By 1875, cousins Rollin and John Dunshee, wagon makers by trade, acquired the real estate parcel and had it subdivided. Per the tax records, the relatives lived together but kept this well-proportioned corner lot in Rollin’s name. Sometime between 1880 and 1885, the two-story, Italianate-style Victorian residence was built, and by 1885, the tax value significantly increased.
Though not as fancifully decorated with the typical use of heavy symmetry and ornamentation as other Victorian homes of the era, the residence still exudes an attractive use of decor with the long and thin squared brackets along the eaves of the low-hipped roofline. Other features include restful, Zen-like patio areas and abundant off-street parking, along with specimen foliage to ensure privacy and protect against street noise.
The historic residence is located within walking distance of downtown Santa Barbara and had previously operated as an inpatient recovery center. In more recent years, the property has served as a multifamily, mixed-use rental and is currently available for purchase through Radius Group Real Estate with an asking price of $1,895,000.