As the temperature drops, the number of residential fires goes up. The Santa Barbara County Fire Department wants you to have a worry free winter by taking the following precautions:
– Before you use your heater for the first time this winter, have a qualified serviceman inspect your furnace and change the filter.
– If you have a fireplace or wood burning stove that you use for home heating, make sure it’s clean and inspected by a qualified chimney sweep. Burn only dry, well seasoned wood. When using your fireplace, make sure the opening is covered with an approved metal screen or glass doors. Never leave a fire unattended.
– When using space heaters, make sure there is a minimum of 36 inches of clearance on all sides of the heater.
– Never try to thaw frozen water pipes with a torch or open flame. Use hot water or an approved device.
– Make sure there are operating smoke detectors on each level of your home. Your family should have and practice a home fire escape plan.
With these helpful tips, the Santa Barbara County Fire Department hopes you will be safe and worry free this winter.