Thirty one Explorers representing all four Sheriff’s Posts (Post 32-Santa Maria, Post 34-Lompoc, Post 36-Santa Ynez, and Post 830-Goleta) competed against nineteen CHP, Police and Sheriff Explorer Posts from agencies throughout California.
Sheriff Explorers earned 16 trophies including 2nd place overall for their accumulative ranking in the competition. The other trophies were for the following categories:
- 1st Place: Hazardous Response/Officer Down Scenario
- 1st Place: Crime Scene Investigation
- 1st Place: Building Search
- 2nd Place: Written Law Enforcement Examination
- 2nd Place: High Risk Stop
- 3rd Place: Night Time-Suspicious Subject Contact
- 3rd Place: Law Enforcement Oral Interview
- 4th Place: High Risk Stop
- 4th Place: Night Time Traffic Stop
- 4th Place: 5-Man Tug-O-War
- 4th Place: Female Obstacle Course
- 5th Place: Night Time-Suspicious Subject Contact
- 5th Place: Medical Emergency Scenario
- 5th Place: Male Obstacle Course
- 5th Place: Team Obstacle
The following Explorer Advisors, Sheriff Volunteers and parent volunteers helped make this competition a huge success.
- Sgt John McCammon – Advisor Post 34 (Lompoc)
- S/D Deputy Bill Borneman – Advisor Post 32 (Santa Maria)
- Deputy Dave Robertson – Advisor Post 32 (Santa Maria)
- Deputy Dan Calderon – Advisor Post 830 (Santa Barbara)
- Deputy Matthew Banks – Advisor Post 830 (Santa Barbara)
- Deputy Sandra Rivera – Advisor Post 36 (Santa Ynez)
- Deputy Mike Guynn – Advisor Post 36 (Santa Ynez)
- Deputy Chris MacAuley – Advisor Post 34 (Lompoc)
- CHP Sgt Mike Forkin – Post 32 (Santa Maria)
- CHP Officer Mike Gruver – Post 32 (Santa Maria)
- Sheriff Volunteer Tracey Borneman – Post 32 (Santa Maria)
- Sheriff Volunteer Damien Rivera – Post 34 (Lompoc)
- Mrs. Deanna McCammon – Post 34 (Lompoc)
Law Enforcement Exploring is a worksite-based program for young men and women who have completed the eighth grade and are 14-21 years of age. The Explorer Program is for young people with interests in the fields of law, law enforcement or public safety.
The Explorer Program helps youth to gain insight into a variety of programs that offer hands-on career activities. The intent of law enforcement exploring is to educate and involve youth in law enforcement operations, to interest them in possible law enforcement careers, and to build confidence and responsibility. For more details on the program, visit www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/lawenforcement.