Pellet Gun Shooter Sent Back to Psychiatric Hospital

Charles Quinn Deemed Incompetent to Stand Trial for Second Time

Charles Quinn, the man accused of firing a pellet gun at Sheriff’s deputies after a January 2011 attempted burglary in Goleta, was sent back to Patton State Hospital by a judge Monday morning.

Judge Jean Dandona ordered Quinn back to the San Bernardino psychiatric hospital after she found him incompetent to stand trial. Quinn was also ordered to take anti-psychotic medications if his treating psychiatrist deems it appropriate, said prosecutor Mary Barron.

Charles Quinn

This will be Quinn’s second trip to Patton in relation to this case — Dandona sent him there last summer after she made a similar ruling. After some time at the hospital, Quinn was restored to competency, and charges were reinstated against him. But, according to his attorney, Jeff Chambliss of the Public Defender’s Office, he regressed, leading to Monday’s hearing. Two psychologists who evaluated Quinn concluded he was incompetent to stand trial.

Quinn has been charged with six felony counts — three of assault on a police officer, one of second-degree robbery, one of assault with the personal use of a deadly weapon, and one of resisting an executive officer.

According to witnesses, Quinn approached them outside an ice cream shop in the Camino Real Marketplace, asking for change. When they did not give him any, he took out a pellet gun and shot at them. Later, when deputies caught up with him in a field at the corner Hollister Avenue and Storke Road, he also fired upon them, injuring two of the deputies. Quinn spent some time in the ICU at Cottage Hospital after deputies returned fire, hitting him multiple times.

Quinn may once again be restored to competency at the hospital and return to Santa Barbara to answer to the charges.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.