Green Shorts Film Festival Screening and Awards
Top Rated Films and Reception at the Lobero Theater
The evening will begin at 6:00 pm with a Green Carpet welcome for the Green Shorts filmmakers and crew, complete with paparazzi and fanfare – the program will start at 6:30 p.m.
Following the screening and awards event, movie goers are invited to join in an all ages reception in the Lobero Courtyard, with hors d’oeuvres and beverages generously donated by Taste and See Catering, RND Vodka, and Telegraph Brewing Company. Non-alcoholic beverages will also be provided.
Tickets for the screening event are $10 (includes $1.50 Lobero Theater box office fee) and tickets for the reception are $10 (includes $1.50 Lobero Theater box office fee). Please note—a ticket for the screening event must be purchased to attend the reception. People are encouraged to carpool, take the bus or bike to the event. Free valet bike parking will be provided by the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition.
More than 30 films were submitted to this year’s festival. Winning films will receive great prizes, including a MacBook, gift certificates to Samy’s Camera and more.
The Green Shorts Film Festival is one of several events leading up to the Community Environmental Council’s Earth Day Festival, which takes place at Alameda Park in Santa Barbara April 21–22. Details on Earth Day can be found at www.SBEarthDay.org.
The Green Shorts Film Festival is an annual film festival about saving our planet, helping our environment and being green. The 2012 contest theme is “Mobilize for the Earth” (the theme of the Community Environmental Council’s Earth Day Festival). Movies can be submitted by residents of San Luis Obispo, Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties.
General Prize Categories:
- Grand Prize – MacBook (donated by Samy’s Camera)
- Second Place – $300 Samy’s Gift Certificate (Donated by the APCD)
- Third Place – $200 Samy’s Gift Certificate (Donated by the APCD)
- College Award – $200 Patagonia Garment (Donated by Patagonia)
- Student Award – $200 Samy’s Gift Certificate (Donated by COAST)
- Traffic Solutions Award – GoPro video camera (Donated by GoPro). This award will be given to a movie that focuses its message on sustainable transportation such as commuting, bicycling, walking, carpooling, transit, vanpooling or telecommuting. This award is judged and selected by Traffic Solutions staff.
- Viewer’s Choice Award – $200 Samy’s Camera Gift Certificate (Donated by CEC). This award will be voted on by the audience at the Green Shorts Film Festival Screening and Awards Event at the Lobero Theatre.
- Fan’s Favorite Award – Prize TBA. The top three movies selected by the audience will be posted on the Green Shorts Film Festival Facebook page after the event. The movie with the most “likes” will be given an award on the Main Stage at CEC’s Earth Day.
The Green Shorts Film Festival is made possible by generous sponsors including, Samy’s Camera, the Fund for Santa Barbara, the Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District, Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition, COAST, Patagonia, lynda.com, GoPro, Telegraph Brewing Company, RND Vodka and Taste and See Catering. Our media sponsors include the Independent, Cox and the Daily Sound.
Winners were selected by a panel of judges including:
- Sarah Clark, Public Affairs Manager for Cox Communications
- Suzette Curtis, Creative Director of Vaquera Design and Green Shorts Advisory Committee
- Jim Knowlton, Producer, diving cameraman and video editor for Discovery, National Geographic and PBS
- Rod Lathim, Founder and Artistic Director of Access Theatre
- Janet Walker (PhD, UCLA), UC Santa Barbara Professor of Film and Media Studies
- Angela Weidmann, Video Production Manager for Patagonia
For more information about the Green Short Film Festival, visit www.GreenShortsFilmFest.org or call Kent Epperson at Traffic Solutions at (805) 895-6589. Traffic Solutions is a Division of the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments.