· $5200.00 in Cash Prizes
· Close to $42,000 was raised for the Nature Center
· Over $13,000 in Merchandise Prizes Awarded
· 528 men, women and children registered
· Top Prize – awarded to DAVID GOSS Los Alamos for the Highest Tag Number (#178)
· 2nd Prize – awarded to KEN ROSSMAN. of SANTA YNEZ $1000 for the Longest Trout (26 1/4 inches) (Picture attached)
Other Top Prizes:
· James Taggert.JAMES TAGGERT FROM CAMARILLO won $550 for the 2nd Highest Tag (TAG# 70)
· ANTHONY REYES FROM BURBANK won $500 for the 2nd Longest Trout caught using an ARLETA (22 1/4 inches)
· CHLOE MUSCH age 4 from SANTA MARIA won $300 for the 3rd Highest Tag (TAG# 54).
· Prize FOR the SHORTEST TROUT – awarded to Gilbert Echevarria Jr. 11 1/8 inches FROM BUELLTON
Neal Taylor Nature Center’s
Ninteenth Annual Trout DerbyThe Derby fishing began at 6 a.m. on April 12, 2014 and ended at 12 noon on April 13, 2014.
528 contestants of all ages fished Cachuma Lake during the tournament hours and were also able to fish from shore at any time during the Derby including Saturday night. Neal Taylor’s daughter Susan Burmood fired off the flare at the harbor to start the Derby on Saturday and Neal Taylor’s granddaughter – Katie Jackson – shot off the flare to end the Derby on Sunday at 12noon.
This year’s event was attended by anglers of all ages with 528 registered to fish in the Derby and many others along for a glorious weekend of perfect weather for camping and fun at Cachuma Lake & the Nature Center.
The contest was held on Saturday, April 12th and Sunday, April 13 with over 250 kids and families pre-registered and another 278 register during the weekend of the Derby! The weather was perfect and lots of BIG fish were caught making for many happy anglers of all ages.
The trout derby is a benefit fund raiser for the Neal Taylor Nature Center which is located at Cachuma Lake and offers programs and exhibits on the Santa Ynez River Watershed.
Approximately 70 volunteers planned and operated the derby, raffle and children’s activities with over $26,000 in cash sponsorship and $13,000 in merchandise sponsorship.
The following children each won $25 and a rod and reel for the longest fish in the category of children ten years old and younger:
Longest Trout Caught Kids age 10 and under
1. Carson Robertson 21 ½ from Newbury Park age 9
2. Mae Urquidez. 20 3/8 inches from Ballard age 9
3. Chloe Musch 20 inches from Santa Maria age 4
4. Dylan Hansen 19 1/8 inches from San Mateo age 10
5. Roman Stillwell. 18 5/8 inches from Los Alamos age 8
The following five each won a rod/reed combo:
Tristan Taylor. 18 1/2 inches from Solvang age 6
Paul Smith. 18 1/4 inches from Filmore age 9
Brooke TOSTI 17 7/8 inches. 2.48 lbs from Santa Maria age 9
Ava Zedlar 17 7/8 inches. 2.12 lbs age 10
Tyler Sandberg. 17 3/4 inches from Mount Vernon age 9
The Trout Derby is the major fundraiser for the Neal Taylor Nature Center which is a non-profit organization that operates the Nature Center
TROUT DERBY SPONSORS
A Fundraising Benefit for the
Neal Taylor Nature Center
a Nonprofit Organization, and in Cooperation with Cachuma Lake Recreation Area
Major Derby Sponsors
Platinum – $20,000
In memory of
Vera Ralston Alva & Kirby Keith Duncan
Silver (Osprey) – $2,500
Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians
Derby Sponsor – $500
Jerry & Sandi Witcher
Charlotte Martinez in memory of Joe Martinez
MarBorg Industries, Inc.
Community West Bank
Rocky Mountain Recreation Co.
Knight Broadcasting, Inc.
Thank you to our volunteers and many generous donors!
About the Neal Taylor Nature Center
Neal Taylor Nature Center (NTNC) is located within Cachuma Recreational Area in a picturesque old ranch house. Developed and operated by a corps of committed volunteers, it offers exhibits on the local valley and mountain environment for all ages, emphasizing hands-on exhibits for children of all ages
Nature Center & Gift Store Hours
Tuesday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Sundays 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Nature Center Admission: Free
(There is an $10.00 County Park Admission Fee per vehicle)