Defendant Daniel Fabian, 35, pleaded no contest Wednesday morning in Santa Barbara Superior Court to two rapes: the sexual assaults of a San Pedro homeless woman on April 11, 2015, and a Santa Barbara homeless woman on October 30, 2015. He was sentenced to 32 years in state prison by Judge Clifford R. Anderson.
Last October, Fabian — then an area resident — “followed” the Santa Barbara woman to her Westside campsite and forcibly raped her, said the District Attorney’s Office Wednesday press release. “The woman’s companion returned to the campsite during the assault and was able to stop the attack.” The woman later reported the crime to local law enforcement.
Six months before, Fabian had been arrested in Los Angeles County for the rape of a San Pedro homeless woman who also reported her attack to authorities. Following the most recent rape, he was prosecuted in Santa Barbara for both counts under a Penal Code provision allowing sex crimes to be prosecuted in the same county in which at least one other such crime occurred. Fabian’s sentence was doubled due to one “prior strike conviction” from a residential burglary in 2003. The Santa Barbara and Los Angeles Police Departments collaborated on the case.
“This conviction will ensure that the defendant remains behind bars for the majority of his adult life. It will also give the survivors the opportunity to begin the healing process, knowing that their perpetrator is in prison,” said District Attorney Joyce Dudley in a prepared statement.