The nearly 25,000 votes are tallied, the expert deejays chimed in, and The Indy’s editors are ready to announce the winners of the inaugural Locals Only Music Contest. Using a wholly unscientific method that blended your votes with judges’ opinions and-perhaps most importantly-determining which bands could play the November 1 winners’ concert at Casa De la Guerra, we’re rolling out the red carpet for the following five bands, who’ll kick off the concert at 6 p.m. next Thursday:
1) Cosmic Revelators: A three-piece dedicated to raw, scratchy garage rock.
2) Rebelution: This rootsy reggae band, first famous in Isla Vista, is already making fans beyond S.B.
3) Nekrogoblikon: Pirates, goblins, priests, and scary death metal-what’s not to like from these devil-horn-waving rockers?
4) Boombox Orchestra: The funk stars aligned to produce this hip-hop groove outfit, intent on providing the soundtrack to your good times.
5) Jamie Green: Acoustic alt-rocker blends girl power and introspective songwriting to create a sound that’s all her own.
See next week’s Independent for a full-page preview of the November 1 free concert.