Two people were injured after a propane tank at a U-Haul rental facility exploded Monday.
According to fire officials, the propane tank was new, but employees who thought they were removing air from the tank were actually removing propane. “The compressor responsible for creating the necessary vacuum to purge the tank also provided the necessary ignition source to cause the explosion of the gas,” said County Fire Capt. Eli Iskow. The explosion ignited the structure at 4417 Hollister in Goleta, with fire damaging the back wall, the roof, and portions of the attic. The fire didn’t damage the interior of the building.
The two victims, a male and female who were both U-Haul employees, were taken to Cottage Hospital with burns to their faces and arms. The damage to the building from the accidental fire is estimated at $20,000.