Want to add to your arsenal of children’s birthday party themes? How about inspiring your child with an eco-theme?
Last year, it occurred to us that it would be nice to celebrate our son Maddox’s birthday party while camping. We chose a gorgeous location, surrounded by trees and views of the surf and our majestic mountains. As the day approached, we started brainstorming themes, and after some thought, zeroed in on the South Coast’s role significant role in starting Earth Day.
So the B’Earth Day party came to be.
We felt a responsibility (due to the B’Earth day theme) to go as eco as possible. It was a bit daunting at first as some of the eco supplies are not as readily available. However, we realized that doing any part eco was better than not doing any at all. So, if you would like to throw a more eco-friendly party, here are some ideas from ours:
1. Select an inspiring outdoor location.
2. Send invitations by emails.
3. Serve organic, healthy food. We purchased our produce from Montrose Farms in Carpinteria.
4. Use Earthshare or other eco-friendly dinnerware. These can be purchased online. Request that guests write their name on their cups so they can reuse one instead of using several throughout the party.
5. Reuse old party decorations, or use the favors as decorations. We purchased inflatable earth balls instead of balloons. Tie-dyed shirts and hung them up for color. Picked flowers from our yard and put them in old jars as floral arrangements. Bought posters detailing lifecycles to stick in the ground like signs.
6. Use cloth tablecloths
7. Bake cupcakes shaped like bugs.
8. Request that guests keep earth-friendliness in mind by doing such things as wrapping gifts in newspaper, giving a gift that has already been (gently) used, or donating to a charity in our son’s name.
9. Activities could include:
- Scavenger hunt for shells and other unused favors from previous parties.
- Sensory box that kids put their hands into, describing the textures and smells.
- Sand art
- Replanting basil seedlings into used yogurt cups
The kids had tons of fun, got to learn a thing or two and went crazy for the cupcakes! Happy Birthday Maddox!