City Fire

The Santa Barbara City Fire Department responded to a fire on the Mesa last night, May 27, at around 7:15 p.m. According to officials, three engines, a truck company, and a battalion chief discovered a fire in the second story unit of an Oceano Avenue apartment but were able to extinguish it within ten minutes.

A fire investigator reported that the blaze started in the kitchen, and that it was likely caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator.

While no one was seriously injured in the incident, one of the apartment’s occupants was reportedly taken to the hospital after complaining of chest pains.

A fire department spokesperson said it wants to remind everyone that it’s important to inspect all old appliances for signs of potential breakdown.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.