Valle Verde Retirement Community Wins 5th CalRecycle Award
“We are very pleased that our Green Footprint program is working so well, and that CalRecycle has again recognized our continued environmental programs. We have found that through our Green Footprint program we can improve our local environment, provide a nicer community for our seniors, and save money.” said Tim Wetzel, executive director of Valle Verde Retirement Community.
According to the CalRecyle, this year’s WRAP honorees “have diverted over 2.3 million tons of materials from landfills during 2010 and recorded more then $200 million in cost savings from their waste-reduction efforts.” Valle Verde’s green efforts put them along side other winners, such as Apple, Inc., 20th Century Fox Film Corp, Loyola Marymount University, and the San Diego Padres-PETCO Park.
Valle Verde’s Green Footprint program lowers energy and water consumption and produces photovoltaic energy through solar panels on covered walkways. With the use of solar electrical panels Valle Verde can produce approximately 72,000 watts of electricity. In addition to solar electrical panels Valle Verde has installed solar water heaters, high efficiency boilers, low flow toilets and showerheads which has greatly reduced their utilities consumption
Over the last 7 years, Valle Verde Retirement Community has created and expanded their campus-wide green initiative and continue to reduce their dependence on electricity, decrease waste, improve air quality, compost green waste, use reclaimed water, and buy local produce.
Valle Verde’s Green Initiative includes:
- Up to 85% of produce consumed on campus is purchased from local farms
- Electronic records in the medical center
- Reclaimed water usage for all irrigation
- Climate sensitive irrigation controllers for minimal water usage
- Drought tolerant, native plants
- Campus-wide recycling & waste reduction program
- Employee & senior resident alternative transportation programs
- Built Green practices on campus remodels
Valle Verde has received the following awards for their campus wide Green Initiative:
- CalRecycle Waste Reduction Award 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2011
- International Council on Active Aging 2010 Green Award
- City of Santa Barbara Solar Energy System Recognition Award & Certificate 2007, 2009, & 2011
- AAHSA Leading-Edge Care and Services Award 2008
- Central Coast Magazine Green Award Nominee 2008
- Santa Barbara Green Award 2007
Valle Verde Retirement Community has been located at 900 Calle de los Amigos in Santa Barbara, CA since 1966. Valle Verde is a nonprofit retirement community committed to helping people live full, happy and long lives. Valle Verde is owned and managed by American Baptist Homes of the West.