Late Tuesday morning, a fire broke out in a water heater closet at Peabody Charter School. The gas water heater had, according to a fire department investigation, ignited combustible materials stored close by. Fire crews responded at 11 a.m. A smoke detector alerted school employees, who evacuated the campus. The fire serendipitously melted a waterline on a water softener, which then leaked water and kept the fire in check until firefighters extinguished it. Nobody was injured.


Please note this login is to submit events or press releases. Use this page here to login for your Independent subscription

Not a member? Sign up here.